Monday, January 08, 2007

Your babies are so cute I want to steal them?

Maybe this is just a cultural thing that I don't get and someone can help me out. Today during school I showed my students some pictures of the kids. Many commented that they were cute and wanted to know their names--a standard response. One student who happens to be African American and of relatively low economic status said, "Your babies are so cute I want to steal them!" I didn't know whether to take this as a complement or a threat of some kind. I'm thinking it was a compliment because this student is very sweet and would probably never hurt a fly. Never the less, I was a little weirded out by her comment. Is this a standard reply to seeing someone's cute children? I know that one of my students has told me before that if she sees something cute in a store she just has her aunt steal it for her. I'm might think twice before I show pics of my kids to my students again. What do you all think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I think it was a compliment.

1:55 PM  
Blogger RoxieNYC said...

Me too. I read this on a website about overheard convos in New York:

Hipster chick to friend: Oh my god, she's so adorable! I just want to steal her!
Mother, turning around: Thank you.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home